The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The Premises, Shoreditch

The Premises
209 Hackney Rd
Shoreditch
E2 8JL
020 7729 7593

by Hashley Brown

Besuited and befuddled, standing in the bright sunlight of a faux-spring morning in slow contemplation of the hustle and bustle of the Premises, it dawned on me that this acclaimed cafe may be the one thing to restore my sleep-deprived dignity. Attached to one of London's more prestigious rehearsal and recording studios, home in the past to such musical luminaries as the Magic Numbers and Lions and Tigers, this cafe sees a steady trade of locals and flower market attendees on a Sunday morning.

Acquiring a table was tricky, but once squeezed round the diminutive piece of furniture, we were accommodated well. Lively chat and friendly if brusque service complimented a more than ample breakfast menu, that saw both veggie and meaty options selected. As the large amply filled plates were presented I could at last see the cloud lifting and hope dawned anew. The aggregation of hash browns, bacon, sausage, egg, black pudding and tomato was hearty well cooked fare, if lacking some of the stylistic coherency that defines the true gourmet breakfast.

Yet mid-meal, tackling one of my nicely crisped rashers of bacon, disaster befell me. I blame the small table, others my dyspraxia, but as my half finished breakfast left the plate and headed crotch-wards my hopes and dreams of regaining my dignity were cruelly dashed. With the laughter of friends and neighbours crashing around me as I feebly spooned the vestiges of a pleasant meal from my lap I couldn't help noticing both my suit and my breakfast were considerably worse off. Thank goodness I don't like beans.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The old plate in the lap trick, eh? Those cads at The Premises should be stopped, forcibly.

11:09 AM, March 25, 2007  
Anonymous H.P.Wells said...

As full of character as it is customers, this is the best place to start the day in the area. The sausages however, are terrible and they won't allow 'swaps' to the set menus. Not perfect then...

11:20 AM, January 17, 2011  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares