The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, May 03, 2007

Special Dispatch: Cheers Bar, Protaras

Cheers Bar
Protaras
Nr Ayia Napa
Cyprus
Cyprus holiday paraphernalia

by Tina Beans

Ahhhhh the promise of a holiday. To escape it all, explore new lands, new cultures. Well, unless you go to Protaras of course. Like a mini Vegas with English people, Protaras has everything to offer the Brit abroad. You can eat a full roast dinner to the comforting sounds of 5 different versions of Angels by wannabe Robbies in any number of themed bars. Never been to Stonehenge? Now’s your chance! Always wanted to wonder through ‘Robin Hood Forest’? Well now you can! Don’t waste your time with real historical attractions such as Aphrodite’s Rock. As our lovely holiday rep told us ‘between you and me it’s just a rock int’ sand’.

After a night out on the cocktails and Karaoke we were in dire need of a true home comfort: a good full English. We strolled past the singing Elvis and the Sphinx and came to the Cheers Pub. For 3 Cypriot Pounds, you get all the essential ingredients, starting with a round of toast and jam as a kind of ‘starter’. The eggs were nicely done and came sitting on yet more toast, next to a helping of beans and an interesting take on grilled tomato – in slices, lightly griddled like a salad garnish. Our friendly but stressed waiter forgot the sausages which arrived a few minutes later in their own dish. Overall, it wasn’t bad with sausage and bacon of reasonably good quality, both well cooked although a little luke warm. Not the greatest breakfast, but maybe that’s what you get if you ask for a full English, in a faux American themed pub, in Cyprus.

1 Comments:

Blogger StAt1C said...

We visited this bar today with my wife and son. Ordered apple juice, French fries and some cocktails. After my wife discovered a piece of broken glass inside a tequila sunrise, we called a waitress and told her. She replaced a cocktail, and told us she is sorry. Well, I thought that it the end of story, but after I found a piece of glass inside San-Francisco cocktail, I was really upset. I talked to the same waithress, but she said it’s impossible. Easy to say, but very hard to argue. I didn’t ask for any coverage or compensation, but a bit later bartender was trying to attack me, as well as manager told me that I upset people. I told him to check cameras and fix this. But he told me that he will call police on me. Are you all crazy out there?! I called Protaras police and told them this story, but they really do t care. So people, if you care about your health - stay away from this place.

10:31 PM, September 10, 2019  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares