The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cecconi's, Mayfair

Cecconi’s
5 - 5a Burlington Gardens
Mayfair
W1X 1LE
020 7434 1500
www.cecconis.co.uk

From the diary of Miss Eggletina Benedict (as seen by Orva Easy)

Dear Diary,

Bunked off for breakfast at Cecconi’s with the girls today – Granola and Nutella are over from Capri - such a pair of darlings though Granola’s a bit on the neurotic side if you ask me - a mecca of the rich and famous, they said! Tinted windows and everything, though I didn’t recognise anyone. George (not the gardener, the new security man, lovely chap, one eye, neck like a Hummer tyre) had a squint at the menu while I waited in the Daimler and I was reassured to note the outrageous expense to which they put you for the privilege of breakfasting in such exclusive surroundings. That reminds me, must ask Daddy to transfer a few quid. Can’t imagine why I haven’t been there before!

Rather nice inside I must say! Lovely soft lighting (well, darking, more accurately, couldn’t see a bloody thing for the first five mins). Splendid velvet banquettes and green leather chairs, rather reminded me of the inside of the old man’s vintage MG, though he’d probably use those white tablecloths to wipe the oil off his hands, the old mucker. Just my sort of place anyway, I thought.

Breakfast was super, decidedly up to scratch. I had yummy eggs Florentine - perfect - oozy yolks, soft whites, absolute lashings of hollandaise, (not too sharp or vinegary like that strange yellow goop we get at school) and soooooooo much spinach! And of course, a deliciously doughy Good Old English muffin. Yum!

But you know what… I hesitate to complain. Really I do, it seems dreadfully vulgar, but frankly, I felt rather let down. The service is just awful. Really, spectacularly, almost amusingly dire. Truculent is the word Nutty used (she’s awfully clever!) but dozy isn’t far off. George was all for having a word but I thought that was a bit much. One doesn’t like to make a scene. Shopping in Bond Street after then back to school in time for double maths, bor-ring! Can't wait for the hols!!!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more about the service. I would have complained but the ever present air of "whatever" made me feel it might not be worthwhile. There was a time when Continental style shrugging and huffing and puffing was rather in vogue- now however, is not the time. Head round teh corner to Wolset where they can be bothered to bring the bill without inferring you have put them out in some way.

9:51 PM, February 01, 2009  
Blogger eatmeter said...

I would describe the service as 'transient' the people serving you continuously change throught the meal you never know who you asked for what! Plus, they don't really care.

See my brunch review here...

http://eatmeter.blogspot.com/2009/03/sunday-brunch.html

1:18 AM, March 24, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares