The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Thursday, March 28, 2013

Paternoster Chop House, The City

Paternoster Chop House
1 Warwick Court
Paternoster Square
The City
EC4M 7DX
020 7029 9400
www.paternosterchophouse.co.uk

by Anne O'Raisin

Now I like a place with an idiosyncratic breakfast menu: and surprisingly for a place nestling in the shadow of St Paul’s, the Paternoster Chop House has a decidedly eclectic mix. Alongside the usual egg dishes, there are home-made crumpets with fresh honeycomb. A pile of toast comes with 'foraged jam'. I asked what fruit they had managed to gather by hand at this rather desolate time of year: it turned out to be crab apples. There was also some presumably un-foraged orange marmalade.

I'm a strictly sweet-food-for-breakfast kind of girl, so while my friend merrily ordered poached eggs, bacon and hash browns, I dithered over the "lighter fare". Fruit salad didn't sound nearly exciting enough. Poached berries and yoghurt was a tad healthy. Perhaps a signature crumpet?

Somehow the restaurant staff seemed to know what I really wanted without me asking - and without it even featuring on the menu. Now that's what I call service.

Unprompted, I was brought a tower of mini pancakes – a cross between drop scones and American silver dollars – studded with dried fruit and drizzled with poached berries in a vanilla syrup. It was delicious, although I asked for a splodge of Greek yoghurt on the side, just to be really reckless. If there had been an extra jug of syrup I wouldn’t have turned it away.

My friend's eggs came in a deep dish, the potatoes more of a hash than a hash brown and mixed with what looked like cabbage and possibly foraged herbs. There were two shards of properly crispy bacon on top, which made her happy.

Even the coffee was good - I tried regular and decaff, just to make sure.

As for the secret pancakes, I've been reliably informed that they'll be on the menu shortly so you won't have to rely on mind-reading staff to get hold of them.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Joseph said...

How incredible that so close to St Pauls you can get food that is so amazingly eclectic.

People would kill for that kind of choice in any city or town in the UK. Sounds like great food after an all-nighter!

The only thing missing would be some great ambient music, or did they have that too?

9:50 PM, April 03, 2013  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello blogger!
I absolutely love your blog! I really like the way in which you "approach" food and how you manage to keep the posts light and humorous. Plus small touches like the leading quote (what a great quote) and stuff like "condiments" instead of "comments" just make it that much better.
Anyway, I think it would be really worth to share it with more people and I believe I could help to get you a fresh audience if you are interested?
I am searching for passionate writers to join our community of bloggers - glipho.com
Please check us out and drop me a line at hubert@glipho.com for any questions.
Best!
Hubert

12:23 PM, April 10, 2013  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares