The London Review of Breakfasts

"Hope is a good breakfast, but it is a bad supper." (Francis Bacon)

Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The Deli, Walthamstow

The Deli
69 Orford Rd
Walthamstow
E17 9NJ

by Cathy Latte

“Peep peep”. I rummage around in my bag and find Alpine Sport (my Swiss-nationalist coloured Nokia). It blinks up at me: “Guerilla Craft in Walthamstow. 26th April. Davina.”

Later, basket affixed and streamers streaming I pedal down and pick Davina up on the corner of First Avenue. We do one of those excited little waves that friends who haven’t seen each other for a while do.

Davina and me used to be ‘Wired Women’ and we’d see each other all the time. Together with our theremin-wielding Grrrrl friends we went around burning out plug sockets and making music venues (really) angry with our colourful crew of cheerleaders – and their repertoire of chants about masturbation.

Today, sunny Café Deli is our destination for a leisurely breakfast. Normalities like beany-eggs fast breaking are replaced with European cousins like paninis, wraps, baguettes and pastries. Salmon and capers with creamy cheese in a toasted baguette takes my fancy. Mozzarella and SD-tomatoes wrapped for D. We have standard in a bag herbal tea, no more to say there.

The food’s cheap and tasty – just a fiver each including tip. It’s coupled with a good chunk of side salad. Vegetables delivered in the form of crisps and an al fresco surround give it a breakfasty picnic theme.

The service is particularly good. I tend to over-tip after an experience with my boyfriend here last week. We had a moment, as couples do. He was being particularly indecisive, couldn’t choose between chocolate and pecan - a trait I deplore. It was going on for some time. I remarked on his flustering to the waitress. She peered over the counter and in her strong West Indian way said: “Boy, you gotta make your own decisions. Don’t rely on others, just ain’t fair”. What a marvellous woman, I remember thinking.

We toddle off to the Guerilla Craft – which wasn’t that radical but more of a cutesy, home stitched do: fluffy cats strewing themselves over chaise lounges, pin cushions and lavender pillows. But it's a winning combo - the breakfast, as my pa would say, ‘set me up for the day’ and the craft fair gives me a nudge to root out my old needles and yarn. I settle back into my cottage chair for lovely afternoon of pearl, stitch and bitch. Delightful.

5 Comments:

Blogger Ryan said...

Great stuff as usual.

I would love to see a review of "Tasties" in Finchley Central if you ever venture up this end of town.

http://trustedplaces.com/review/uk/london/cafe/1a53c77/tasties-cafe

The owner with the moustache is a legend!

4:38 PM, September 10, 2008  
Blogger Tim F said...

Wired Women sound like fun. Always like a well-wiggled theremin.

6:54 AM, September 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For my money, the best breakfast in Walthamstow is from The Windmill, at the St James Street end of the High Street. Cuddly, obliging staff and a great fry-up with excellent toast.

But now you've recommended it, I'll have to check out the Deli at some point.

11:43 AM, September 11, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Windmill? How very exciting. I had no idea there were top notch breakfast establishments that end. And morning cuddles too! Well I never. I shall have to get down to St James Street. What sort of breakfast is it?

Cathy

x

7:05 PM, September 11, 2008  
Blogger East London Craft Guerrilla said...

Thanks for the great revue! The East London Craft Guerrilla has grown into an exciting,creative and very FUN packed affair! We're now hosting D.I.Y. Craft Nights in the Castle Pub in Walthamstow Village as well as a steady stream of craft markets around East London. Check out our blog for all up to the minute details,venues and dates www.eastlondoncraftguerrilla.blogspot.com

4:45 PM, October 28, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Listed on BlogShares